- I made 13 dedicated trips to see landmarks. All told, I covered 151.8 miles of Chicago streets.
- I walked 92.6 miles and biked 59.2 miles.
- On these walks, I found $1.23 in lost change, a random key, and an Indianapolis restroom token.
- On these walks, I made it to exactly 100 of the 277 landmarks (36.1%!)
- I made this cool Google map of all the landmarks, including those I didn't make it to.
View Chicago's Historic Landmark Structures in a larger map
Beyond the numbers, I got to see a lot of interesting buildings. The variety of buildings that at landmarked in Chicago really astounds. Some sites were the location of historic events or homes of important figures, while others were selected solely for their contribution to the field of Architecture. Every time I went out with a list of landmarks in my Moleskine, I knew that I could expect to see something new in the same old city. The list took me to great neighborhoods and awful ones. It led me to places I certainly never would have visited otherwise, and gave my days a structure and goal.
|A typical walk. 10.2 miles, eight landmarks, and I found 26 cents along the way.|