Monday, January 3, 2011

Counting Coins



When I was a kid, my father, grandfather, and I would gather around the dining room table the day after Christmas. Grandpa's change jar would get emptied onto the table, and we'd sort, stack, and roll the year's change for deposit at the bank.

Every six months or a year since then, I have emptied my own change jar onto the coffee table and done my counting for the year. As with everything else I do (reading, walking, etc.) I make a note of how much I deposit each year. My 2010 year end deposit was a small one, given that I deposited change in August, in advance of our location to Philadelphia and the fact that Audrey regularly raids the jar for quarters to do laundry. My deposit for the fall was a measly $18.00.

On a related note, I've often gotten a hard time for picking up found change on the street. I'm sure that picking up a penny seems pointless and not worth the effort of bending down, but I was always raised to value money, and when one does it every day, those pennies start to add up. So, for all my friends that like to critique my change habit, I'm going to try something new and start a jar just for the change I find. I think it'll be interesting to see what all that picking up is worth over the course of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment